In 1959, inspired citizens of Northampton County rallied for its preservation after it became known that the State Highway Department had plans to build a new concrete bridge in its place. Kreidersville Covered Bridge became one of the first covered bridges to be recognized for preservation by a committee of enthusiasts. In 1959 they formed a State organization called "The Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society of Pennsylvania".
The society was named for the arched truss patented by Theodore Burr and used in the construction of the bridge. In 1960, The Burr Covered Bridge Society, together with The Harmony Grange and local citizens, influenced the Northampton County Commissioners to accept ownership after the Pennsylvania State Highway Department restored the bridge. Kreidersville Covered Bridge crosses the Hokendauqua Creek. Its length is 116 feet.